Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Cold feet

It's been snowing like crazy up here in Toronto and it's really been making training difficult. I was having a hard enough time as it was before the blizzards starting hitting the city. A few days after my Vegas half, I caught a nasty cold and I'm still not 100 percent recovered about two weeks later.

I took a week off after the half -- you know I wasn't feeling good if I wasn't running at all. It was the first full week I took off in about a year. I wasn't happy about it, but I was not feeling good at all. This last week, I ramped it up and logged 40 miles in the week, three of the four runs coming indoors.

On my first three runs, I quit before I intended to, which is also an odd thing for me. I couldn't tell you the last time I quit a run for reasons other than injury. I felt really defeated. On a day I planned to run 12, I ran five outside. On a day I wanted to run 14, I did 11 indoors between the track and treadmill. On another day I planned on running 10, I did only four.

But, all was not lost. You can't just mail in a marathon and mine is less than three weeks away now. So, forced inside due to the bad weather, and still nursing a cold and a swollen left big toe, I completed 20 miles on our little indoor track on Sunday. That's 330 laps! You basically feel like you're turning left the whole time.

I took short breaks at miles 3, 11, 14, 17 and 19 to use the bathroom or to drink water or gatorade. When I was running, I averaged 8:09 per mile. And, sticking to what I try to do with every run -- no matter the distance -- my last mile was my fastest at 7:55. That was a good way to finish up what had been a disappointing week.

I took Monday off to recover and planned on running 10 miles today -- "planned" being the key word. I had some errands to run, and when I was going to head to the gym, some news happened in the baseball world and I was stuck working for a few hours. With chores to knock off before our early-morning drive to Chicago, I didn't have time to squeeze the run in.

That's not a good way to start off this week, especially when we're heading home to even colder conditions during the week of Christmas. I have to make sure I get a few runs in this week somehow, though. The marathon is right around the corner and I can't afford to slip up now.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. Stay tuned for more...

No comments: