Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011: A year of experimenting

When it came to running, this past year was quite an experience. This blog was pushed to the side, but I was out there on the roads as often as my wonky right knee would permit. Boredom from my old routines led to a year full of trial and error.

I'm not much for New Year resolutions, but I would like 2012 to include better health and a more consistent approach to running. I tried all sorts of new things these last 12 months and my body took a hit as a result. I think consistency -- with my running, my workouts and my eating habits -- is really the key to feeling my best.

In 2011, I felt my best in spots, but I also felt the worst I ever have in others.

Here's a quick look at a few things I accomplished this past year.

1. The Wahoothalon -- That's what one of my readers on Twitter dubbed it anyway. On Sept. 25, before the final home game of the year for the Indians, I ran from my house in Avon Lake to the ballpark before covering the game for MLB.com. Front door to media gate, it was almost exactly 20 miles. This was my longest training run for the NYC marathon, and it was easily my most satisfying run of 2011.

2. The Streak -- I began 2011 with the idea of starting a running streak. I lasted 84 days, finally caving to increasing right knee pain after logging the last run of the streak on March 25. Getting out the door every single day for a run for nearly three straight months was a solid feat, but one that was probably ill-advised. I wasn't smart about it and I am still dealing with some lingering issues in my knee.

3. Cleveland Half -- I ran the Cleveland half marathon (my second career 13.1) in May and set a new personal record for the distance. I ran it in 1:41:12, beating my 2008 Las Vegas half time by about 30 seconds. I did so in cold and rainy conditions. Making the race that much more special was my big sis Melissa came to Cleveland and completed her first half marathon. It was awesome being able to share that accomplishment with her.


4. Sixth Marathon -- It was the worst of the six marathons I've run, but I completed the New York Marathon in November. It was a great trip to the Big Apple with my wife and son (and my sister joined us for a couple days), but the race went awful. I was not prepared for the bridges or hills and I was plagued with bad stomach issues throughout the run. No fun. BUT, I finished and added another medal to my wall, and I was close to quitting when I met up with my family around Mile 18. I wasn't raised to be a quitter, though. I would've walked across that finish line if that's what it took.
5. Trail running -- Moving to Cleveland meant covering Spring Training in Arizona instead of Florida. That created a great chance to take up trail running in the mountains around Phoenix. I loved getting lost up in the hills (mentally, not directionally) and just enjoying the solitude. My longest run in the mountains was 17 miles and it flew by. I'm looking forward to this being an annual part of my yearly training.

6. Conquered new places -- Phoenix wasn't the only new terrain I covered this past year. I also chalked up runs in Cincinnati and in Massachusetts near my sister's new house. In Cincy, I went over a handful of bridges and had a blast. Other places I ran this year: Toronto (as a visitor for the first time), Seattle, Anaheim, Kansas City, San Francisco, Chicago, Baltimore, Minneapolis, Dallas, Detroit, Milwaukee and New York. I love that my job allows me to run in so many different cities. Such a great way to take in scenery.

7. Re-evaluated training -- Moving from Toronto robbed me of my free gym membership (at an awesome gym located right across the street from our condo). As a result, I wasn't as active with strength or core training this year and I think that partially led to me becoming a bit more susceptible to injury. I recently added a weight bench and some free weights to my basement and I'm starting to work in weekly workouts to try to gain what was lost in that department. I'm also considering dropping fall marathons from my plans. My best races have been in December, February and May. My worst runs in October and November. With my work schedule, I'm in my best shape in the late winter and spring. The Cleveland Marathon is in May, so that might be my yearly target from here on out. Once I get to 10 fulls, I might also consider scaling back and focusing on half marathons. We'll see...


8. The stats -- In 2011, I ran 869 miles over 170 runs. On average, that worked out to 2.38 per day and 5.11 per run. My goal going in was to top 1,000 miles, so obviously I fell short of that. But I did increase my yearly mileage for the second year in a row. I have gone from 733 to 858 to 869 from 2009-11. The 2.38 per day was my highest since 2008, when I averaged 3.12 per day during a 1,113-mile showing that year. The 5.11 was my lowest per run average since 2007, but much of that is due to the 84-day running streak. I knew my per-run avg would take a hit this year. Likewise, the 170 runs were the most since I logged 177 in 2008. The goal for 2012 is to beat my 2008 mileage total. I just need to be more consistent. If I can do that, it shouldn't be that tall of a task.

Another goal I have is to post on here more consistenty, though I say that every year! Maybe I'll try to post each Sunday to update about my weekly progress. It's a nice plan anyways.

Happy new year!

~JB

No comments: