Monday, January 21, 2008

Going swimmingly

I took a detour from simply running this week and added a new element to the workout: swimming. Now, I can't stand swimming -- basically, because the Good Lord didn't bestow me with the gift of being able to swim well. Instead, he included a slight fear of water in my DNA coding.

BUT, my lovely wife enjoys swimming, so occasionally -- by that, I mean maybe a couple times a year -- I'll give in and hit the pool. We went swimming at our rec center on Saturday and did laps for half an hour. Kelly kicked my butt and I spent some of time just mimicking running in the water, which is actually a good workout in its own right.

When I wasn't swimming laps, riding the bike (I did 11 miles on a bike on a running off-day on Thursday), or hitting the weight room (done three times this week), I stuck to my normal running routine. This past week I logged 22 miles, giving me 50 in the past two weeks, marking the highest mileage for me over a 14-day span this winter.

Yesterday, Sunday, I hit up the treadmill so I could keep an eye on the Packers-Giants NFC championship game last night. I ran six miles at no less than 8 minutes per mile. On my last mile, though, I kicked it up a few gears and ran the final mile in six minutes, 50 seconds. I can run a mile under six no problem, but to do so late in a run felt good.

I felt like I could've kept running, but I decided six was enough for last night. I'll probably shoot for between 20-25 miles again this week. Obviously, I wrote recently that 30 miles per week was a goal of mine, but I've backed off somewhat since hurting my leg. It's felt fine, but no need to get crazy and risk injury.

I'm really looking forward to Spring Training this year. I leave for Florida on Feb. 13 and am excited about finally being able to consistently run outdoors again. I could brave the cold here in Toronto, but the temperatures have been freeeeeeezing. It'll be nice to run in sunny Florida, and now Kelly is going to be able to join me down there for a week in March, which is a bonus.

That's all for now. More to come with the more I run...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I think we all have the same DNA cause I have a fear of water a little bit too. It is the thing I hate most about triathoning.

You should look and see if there are any 1/2 marathons in Florida while you are there and sign up. you can go to active.com and put in the zip code of where you are staying and it will show any upcoming events.

Next year I want you to do the Walt Disney World Marathon, so I can be at the Happiest Place on Earth and be the happiest watching my baby brother do a marathon.

Gotta get to the gym.
Always proud of you.
Meepa