Saturday, October 11, 2008

Next Up: 26.2 miles

"If you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing.
You have to make the mind run the body.
Never let the body tell the mind what to do."
--General George Patton

I'm revisiting this quote that I originally posted at Christmas time, because it's been by far my favorite little motivational tidbit I've come across in all these weeks and months of training. The physical part is done: the marathon training. Now comes the mental aspect: the marathon itself.

The miles have been logged. The shoes have been worn down and replaced. The injuries have been rehabbed and recovered. The carbs have been loaded. And the countdown is about to be over. The next time I post, I will have accomplished the goal I've been writing about on this blog: running my first marathon.

Tomorrow, I head downtown to attend the Running Expo to pick up my packet and timing chip, and I'm spending the day in Chicago and the night in a hotel in the city. Come Sunday morning, I'll bein Grant Park with 40,000 or so fellow runners, ready to embark on this 26.2 mile journey. I wouldn't say I'm nervous. I'm just anxious to get started.

I've done the long runs, the tempo runs, the interval workouts, cross-trained, cut out pop and alcohol, learned to love veggies, refused to give up cookies (my Achilles' heel), got hooked on Gatorade, tapered, and become educated in the ways of Garmin, Saucony, Brooks, Nike, while frequenting Runners World's magazines and Web site.

This week it's been a grind not running as much. I did a two-mile "jog" today way below race pace. I will allow myself to say I went "jogging" -- even though as a runner I don't like to use that term -- because the slow pace drove me bonkers. The tapering is finally over now -- I can start looking ahead to Sunday.

I've received a lot of notes this week from well-wishers and I'm grateful for them all, and appreciated of everyone who has been supportive along the way, tolerating my drinking only water while everyone's having brews, or asking me how my runs are going, even if they really might not be all that interested.

I have a great support system, which is awesome -- it helps keep you in check and helps you maintain your focus. Part of the reason it's been easy to stay so dedicated to this is because I don't want to have someone ask how the training going and me not to have an answer, or a good one at that.

Obviously, I haven't crossed the finish line yet. But, if I do, a big thanks is owed to my lovely wife, who has put up with all this craziness. Kell has stayed at home waiting for me to return from long runs, had carb-friendly dinners waiting for me, tagged along to running stores, joined me on a few jaunts, and even went driving around looking for me once to make sure I was OK during a rain storm. Talk about dedicated.

Kelly will be with me tomorrow and on Sunday, along with some family, rooting me on and waiting for me to finish so we can all go feast at one of my favorite restaurants in the city -- Flat Top Grill. I can only imagine how great it's going to feel to cross that finish line, and have family there to congratulate me -- after this past year of training.

I'm not an elite runner by any means, and to balance my work schedule with this training program has been trying at times. It's been a delicate juggling act, and I've managed to stay on course for most of these months of running. Hopefully come Sunday, it'll be a beautiful day -- not too hot -- and everything will go as I've pictured.

To be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jordan, you are going to nail it. Hope you have a great day. Fight hard if you hit a wall at 20-21 miles. The feeling of hitting the finish is awesome. I will watching for the update. NYC next year??
Cuz John

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You may have missed your time goal, but hey, you just ran 26 miles. There's always next year. (Those words really hurt right now! I went to game #1 at Wrigley... Very painful!)

SeƱor B.

P.s. Tell Kelly I said, "Hola"