Thursday, October 23, 2008

So, what now?


I've completed my first marathon, so "what now?" is the question I'm getting from friends and family, but most of all, from myself. Well, here's what now: I'm signed up to run the Walt Disney Marathon on Jan. 11, 2009.

After experiencing Chicago, I couldn't shake the thrill of completing 26.2. I wasn't sure about doing another marathon this offseason, but I ran twice less than a week removed from Chicago and I was able to hold a strong pace and I felt great.

So, I looked into it and I have plenty of air miles and Marriott points to foot most of the bill for a trip to Florida. Kelly is coming with me, my sister might make the journey and my dad will probably be in the Orlando area that weekend. So I'll have more support for my second marathon.

Let's be honest, though. One of the main reasons I'm doing this is because of what happened in Chicago. I want to get closer to my goal time of 3:30-45. The heat in Chi killed me, but I learned a lot from that run. I want to put what I've learned to good use, and I don't want to wait until next fall to do so. So I've already started a new abbreviated, but intense, training program.

I'm gradually building my miles back up and my weekly mileage will be higher than the previous plan. I also think I tapered too much last time, so I'm not going to back off as much this time. I obviously can bounce back well, considering nine days after the marathon I had already logged 20 miles, including one nine-miler at under 8 minutes per.

Beyond Disney, I want to run the New York City Marathon in 2009, so that will probably take Chicago out of the picture next year. I have a few friends who might be running NYC and my cousin John -- a veteran of the Pikes Peak marathon! -- is considering doing it, too. Earlier this week, I also met a guy who might be a good running partner for me.

The Toronto marathon was going on this past Sunday and Kelly and I headed down to the lakefront to root on the runners (I wanted to reciprocate after feeling the love in Chicago). While down there, I met a guy named Kevin who has done five marathons -- he was also cheering them on after completing his latest 26.2 recently. He's a bit faster than me, but we're planning on heading out on a 12-mile run this Sunday.

The only issue right now is it's starting to get cooooold in Toronto. So training over the next 10-12 weeks might actually be more difficult that balancing training and travel during the baseball season. At least it was summer time for that. I'm going to hit up a store here later today and check out some winter running gear to get ready.

Stay tuned for more...

No comments: