Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Where there's a will...

Can you see me in that crowd? I'm right there, on the left, about 300 yards in front of that big white tent back there. Can't see me among the 45,000 runners? This year -- on Sunday -- I'll be a little closer to the front, in one of the designated start corrals rather than in the open section.

A year ago, Chicago was my first marathon. Over more than a year of running up to that point, I had shed more than 40 pounds. Now, a year since that photo was taken, I am a two-time marathoner. Did Chicago in 4:22 in very hot conditions, did Disney in 4:09 with a bum hip for the last 7 miles. Ran the Las Vegas half in 1:42 in perfect conditions in between.

This Sunday, I will be able to say I'm a three-time marathoner. I haven't trained as hard leading up to this one -- funny how bringing a son into the world will throw off your priorities, and your training (Kelly and I welcomed Baby Hayden Bastian to our family on Sept. 1). I haven't been blogging, because I haven't been running as much. Only recently did I pick it up hard again, and I feel like I've been cramming for an exam.

This year will be all about experience and will power. I want to crack 4 hours, but if I don't I'm not going to get all worked up over it. My goal this year is to cross that finish line. Last week I successfully logged 20 miles after not having gone 10+ in a month. The 32 miles I ran last week were my most in one week since January. Sunday is going to hurt and I know it. And I'm ready.

Having run two marathons before, and with that 20-miler under my belt recently, I know what I'm in for and I know I can handle it. I might not be able to clock as fast of splits as in the past, but I will hold a steady pace with the goal of not slowing much as I get deeper in the run. I want to prove to myself that I can push beyond my limits, using my experience.

I look forward to putting that medal on after I finish my third career 26.2. I also look forward to updating this blog more often as I get back at it over the next year. I hope to run at least one marathon per year from here on out. I'm already thinking that one in October or November of 2010 will be next.

I'll post more after Sunday's adventure...

No comments: