Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Still Here, Still Running

Man, I really did not plan on going so long between posts. One day I'm a shirtless wild man running through Arizona mountains and then I disappear off the face of the Earth. Well, I'm still here. And, as the title of this entry says, I'm still running.

In fact, I've logged 376 miles and moved into a new pair of Saucony shoes since I last wrote. My training has been sporadic -- to put it mildly -- but a lot has happened. Life events that constantly threw wrinkles in my schedule and tested my endurance, on the roads and otherwise.

Let's see...

I moved into a new house in a new country (back in the USA!) and my family said goodbye to Grandma Bastian. As it turns out, I've learned that I do not use running as a form of stress relief. While back home during the time my grandma was ailing in the hospital, I had absolutely no interest in logging miles. That hurt me right in the heart of my marathon training plan.

I've managed, though. Since I last wrote, I took part in the Garden of the Gods 10-miler in Colorado Springs (holy hills!), and logged runs in Philadelphia, along Lake Erie in Cleveland, through NYC's Central Park, along the Charles River and around the Cherry Hill Reservoir in Boston, all over Toronto, here and there in Baltimore, through the wall of heat in Kansas City and over the bridges of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Along the way, I've fought back soreness, calf tightness, some stomach isues, sharp heel pain and, oh yeah, I stabbed myself in the bottom of my left foot with a knife while installing a baby gate.

And now? Now, I've got the Philadelphia Marathon in less than two weeks.
I'm in good enough shape to finish, there's no doubt about that. Two Sundays ago I logged 20 miles in roughly three hours, so I'm more than ready and able. As for breaking the 3:43 I posted in Tampa in February, well, we'll see. I'm gunning for under four hours and am hoping to crack 3:45 again.

When I get to Mile 16 or so on Nov. 21, I think I'll know how realistic that finishing goal is for this fall. One way or another at least, I'll have another medal and a fifth marathon on my resume. I'm already looking ahead to No. 6, too. Cleveland has a marathon in May that just might work for me, and I think I'll be better prepared.

I also hope to begin blogging more again...

~JB

No comments: